Sunday, May 18, 2014

Wolekemah Woman say "Thank You"

May 17, 2014

The Wolekemah Women's Organization held a nice ceremony to thank the student mentors and me for our service to the Sinyea Town. I was presented with a lapa (shirt) made from hand-woven country cloth (something I had been looking to buy) and kola nuts (a traditional gift of friendship). Tears came to my eyes and words difficult to say at their generosity and friendship.
After the presentation we all went to Dr. Nick's for drinks and beer. As in Liberian custom, the person who is honored picked up the healthy bill. The student mentors came first followed by the women who partied until after I went home to sleep.
Being presented with a bag of cola nuts (the nuts are bitter)

With some of the Wolekemah Women
Setting up for the festivities

Some student mentors enjoying a drink after the ceremony

No comments:

Post a Comment