Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Final Days

May 20, 2014

After three days of waiting for hours in long lines to close out my bank account, only to be told the bank would only permit limited withdrawals due to lack of cash, I finally was able to close of the account my sending myself a Moneygram. This means I don't have to travel to the main bank in Monrovia and stay overnight before departing. This gives me an extra day to catch up on all the loose ends and goodbyes.

Liberia is very different from Samoa. Poorer yes, but more expressive in their emotions. I leave with the feeling that besides asking me for money all the time, there is a sincere appreciation of my efforts and a sadness about my leaving. I think I have had some impact on their lives, maybe even a legacy. That is what Peace Corps is all about.  As to Liberia's impact on me, I know it is there; how great I leave to others to judge. That also is what Peace Corps is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment