Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Returning to campus

 March 10, 2014

Today marks the beginning of classes at Cuttington University. This is after postponing the scheduled opening one week to allow students to return home to get more money to meet the university’s sudden announcement of a greater down payment to enroll and after the passing of another week of schedules classes which neither students nor instructors observe. All this reduces class time by two weeks while fees remain the same.  I am happy not to be a part of that mess again.

There is an excitement about being back on campus and reconnecting students again. If anything the relationships are more relaxed than if I was still an instructor. The wonderful part is their eagerness to participate in one of my programs. It kind of lights a fire under me to get them involved and get others moving.

Today I label as “Condom Day”. I was visited at my house by former Immunology class students who have started and want to expand an HIV/AIDS/Family Planning program to neighboring towns and rural areas. They need some money for travel and other minor expenses. I am trying to get a small grant for them. They left with a case of 3,000 condoms after distributing over 1,000 last semester. They may serve as a model about how to conduct similar training in America. Another case of 3,000 condoms goes to the President of the Student Union Association to support his plans. Finally some students from last year take a few hundred condoms and I see them randomly handing them out to other students as they pass by.

 I enter into a discussion with others about whether distributing condoms simply encourages random sexual behavior. To this I refer to my daughter who works for the Minnesota Aids Project as a case worker who states that many studies have been conducted showing that condom distribution and sex education actually reduces sexual activity. Whether that applies to Liberia, I can’t say, but I can say that awareness of pregnancy prevention and HIV has increased. High school and college students in this area carry condoms along with their cell phones as part of what is important to them. Who knows, maybe they do think twice be ore hormones completely take over their bodies?


The news is also spreading about the opening of “Dr. Nick’s”. It seems like the students really want a more private place off-campus where they can go , have a beer, and relax. It encourages me more as construction moves more slowly than I would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment