Sunday, March 30, 2014

Dr Nick's, Open April 1st?

March 30, 2014

Well maybe Dr. Nick's won't open on April Fool's Day, but hopefully that weekend. Of course, having workmen appear is always a big question mark.

Tensions are running high between the woman who will operate the store and myself, primarily over pricing and items to sell. She has a feel for what local residents buy. Like many small shop owners she doesn't understand the math of turnover, margins, and cost of inventory. What happens to many shops is that to stock an item you have to buy a large quantity which may sit on the shelf and expire. Cash gets tied up in these purchases leaving little left over for anything else."Cash is King" is my mantra.She does understand how to keep her personal expenses separate from the store. She thinks I am crazy for charging so much and feels high prices drive customers away. We both have to learn from each other, but the process is painful.

I am scheduled to run the shop my way until I leave. She takes over after that. She is concerned I will fuck-up the whole thing before then (my language, not hers).
Inside the cage


Beer, alcohol, and cigarettes make money

Still needs paint and lettering

No comments:

Post a Comment