Sunday, March 9, 2014

My Faux Pas

 March 8, 2014


New President of Sinyea Youth Association, Roland Kollie (in white) and his Veep
Youth associations are important in Liberia. It seems all matters concerning youth are their responsibility. Being elected president of the town’s youth association is a big deal and induction of new officers is an all-day event with the installation ceremony lasting almost four hours, with subsequent food, and finalized by an all-night ball. There lots of planned speeches by local dignitaries and politicians, prayers, and signing. The climax of the installation ceremony is the putting of donations into a basket to raise funds to build a youth empowerment center. When you donate you announce the amount and are entitled to say a few words.  Being a “Special Patron” with a front row seat and the only white person, I have the opportunity to speak for the first time to the town folk and leaders.

For the past week, I have been increasing my Kpelle vocabulary and practicing it on unsuspecting locals. Since everywhere I go I am called “White Man”, I go by the Kpelle equivalent.  When I am addressed as “White Man”, I reply in Kpelle, “My name is White Man”. This shocks people to hear their native language come from a white person.

The morning of the induction I greet people in Kpelle with “How are you doing”, getting quite good at it, even mastering the contractions. Well, during my donation speech I want to show-off my Kpelle skills by saying how I am trying to learn Kpelle followed by rehearsed “My name is White Man”. Instead what came out was “My name is how are you doing”. Looking at puzzled faces and fearing a mispronunciation I repeat my faux pas.

Mistakes can be the source of building bonds. My attempt at speaking coupled with the fact that I am the only White Man living in the town helps me in my quest to complete the many projects I have started. 

No comments:

Post a Comment