Monday, February 10, 2014

Meeting the Town Chief

February 10, 2014

My blood pressure is up as I sit and wait for the president and secretary of the student organization who are doing the mentoring program. A meeting is set up by the Sinyea Women's Organization to meet the town chief to ask his permission and support to conduct the mentoring program in his village.They are seriously late. Then I see them as they saunter down the road to my house. Can I ever get over this not being on time thing? I am soooo American. We catch a taxi and make it close to the scheduled time. The women are dressed and ready to go.

Chairs are setup with the chief and I facing each other. He is a gregarious guy whom I  met briefly before. We exchange Liberian handshakes which he is surprised I know, complete with the fist to the heart, signifying closeness. I explain I would like his support and help. Then the conversation turns to the Cuttington students about inviting them to the town council meeting on Wednesday for final approval. Just what I hoped would happen. Then the chief says a word in his native language, Kpelle, which means this meeting is over. I sit there like a duffus wondering whether he is expecting a gift. Fortunately he is not.

As I think about the whole meeting, I wonder if the women had not already done everything and I was brought along just for show? Whatever the project has taken a gigantic leap as we can get access to the village children we are to mentor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment