Thursday, February 20, 2014

Depressing Days

February 20, 2014

This past few days have been difficult to get through. The main reason is finding a safe place to live, the other is the aftershock of suddenly being terminated without any warning and the disappointment in Peace Corps support during my entire stay in Liberia.

The biggest problem in finding housing, an apartment that is secure with iron bars on the windows and a steel entry door. Fortunately There are a number of people helping in my search, lead by members of the Women's Group in Sinyea. For the time being I am staying at the "Passion Guest House" in Gbargna. Expensive for around here, but it does have electricity and running water from 6:30 pm to 7:30 am, also A/C and TV. Rented a room until this Tuesday. After that I don't know what.

I don't need to bemoan Peace Corps for I still think it is a wonderful organization, but Peace Corps Liberia reflects the situation in the entire country, in over its head, promising more than it can possibly deliver.

What keeps me going is the desire to accomplish something for Liberians. In this effort the students I am working with are a wonderful inspiration and also have been mentoring me in the ways of Liberia.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there, Dad. We're all behind you, supporting your efforts from afar.

    ReplyDelete