Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Americans Idea to Discourage Sex

January 21, 2014

What AIDS means for many Liberians is “Americans Idea to Discourage Sex”. I have heard this reference enough times to believe it is wide spread. This saying is coupled with another widespread notion that the HIV virus came from America (It was identified in America, whereas the virus is thought to come from Central Africa) makes the “white man’s” job a tough one.  Being an American white male means I have two strikes against me when preaching words like “abstinence” and “prevention”. Fortunately, the desire for free condoms and some students of my immunology students have taken it upon themselves to carry the banner.

Condoms are going like hotcakes. Students who are distributing are coming back within minutes for additional supplies. This tells me that there is a lot of unprotected sex on campus.  Just how students are to dispose of used condoms is a concern. I fear within a few days the entire campus may be lined with latex.
Some students have formed a group to distribute condoms outside the university with prostitutes, high schools, and markets being targeted. I fear 15,000 condoms may not be enough.

The long term problem is being able to provide a reliable source for condoms after the initial distribution. The students tell me keeping a supply of condoms in the secretary’s office of each college is one good way. I have my reservations, but there is no doubt the openness to discuss sex here would make even American bleeding heart liberals cringe. 


Today one of my students took me to a school in the bush where he taught last year to make his presentation to students 14 years old and up and faculty. One problem he said is that the teachers have sex with these young girls, getting them pregnant. Maybe putting condoms in both their hands might help.

Kennan Institute is a private school, originally funded by American teachers at Cuttington University

Condom demo using a banana
The audience
Girl leaving with what seems like additional condoms collected from classmates


No comments:

Post a Comment