Sunday, November 17, 2013

Break-in November 11, 2013

November 17, 2013

There is just too much to describe all the events and emotions one experiences to be suddenly awakened at 1:00am to find two men inside your house.

I am happy to report I am well.

Below is a letter which I have sent to the Peace Corps Director in Liberia as well as some crime scene photos taken by another Peace Corps Volunteer.

Letter to Peace Corps Country Director
"Dear Country Director Brewer,
I am sure you are aware of the incident where two men broke into my house at 1:00 am on Monday, November 11, 2013 through an unprotected rear window above the kitchen sink, removing the screen and glass window plates, after attempting entry through the rear door and using caustic soda in both instances to eat away metal parts. They were scared off when they surprised me while I was in bed. Although I suffered a significant loss in electronics, money, kitchen knives, credit cards, bank cards, and  IDs, I am thankful I was not personally injured. The response by Peace Corps Liberia staff, especially the Peace Corps Security Officer, Prince, after the incident is laudatory. However, the main issue is the failure on a number of different levels responsible for my security while a Peace Corps Volunteer here at Cuttington University.
I  trust Peace Corps to provide me with the safest environment physically possible. This did not happen.
Peace Corps knew of security problems prior to my arrival at Cuttington. In fact, a former Peace Corps staffer suggested Peace Corps not send additional volunteers to Cuttington until security concerns were addressed. I understand there was even a burglary to the previous Peace Corps Volunteer living in my very unit last year. Just what other security concerns existed I am not aware.
When I was initially dropped off at my site,on or about August 31, 2013, the Peace Corps Security Officer noted that steel window bars had not been installed by Cuttington personnel on my unit and were stored under the house across the road (also intended for the Peace Corps Volunteer living there) for a period of several months. He was irate at Cuttington for their failure to perform what was required of them as a condition for the placement of Peace Corps Volunteers.
Since that time, he has been to my unit on at least three occasions, each time bemoaning the fact that the bars had not yet been installed.
The organization, length of time, and professionalism of the robbery while my unit was under the surveillance by Cuttington security personnel, plus the fact the robbers had a powerful LED flashlights, similar to the ones issued by Cuttington; knew the technique of shinning and holding the light beam in my eyes to blind me; the fact the man entering my room had what looked to be a radio transmitter on his left hip; the fact one robber went onto my front porch where he stood and looked directly at the position where a security guard is usually posted, and that the security guard was at that post when I called for help from my porch, all lead me to conclude that the robbery was conducted directly by Cuttington security personnel or abetted by them.
The response by Cuttington security to block the escape of the robbers was tepid at best. Although they responded quickly to the call from the first security officer, they stood gawking at the kitchen window as precious minutes went by. I had to yell at them not stand there, but to get out into the night to track down the robbers. (Note there is no electric power on campus after midnight and that a flashlight is needed to see anything).
A brief survey of Cuttington students and faculty quickly reenforces my notion that no one feels secure with the Cuttington security force, and indeed, worry or have had incidents where Cuttington security personnel are directly involved in crime.
In subsequent discussions with Cuttington's Vice President and Director of Administration, they have admitted to some concerns about Cuttington security. They have told me of no direct actions or future plans to correct what they admit is a public relations disaster to not have students and faculty trust their security department. To my knowledge, there is no internal investigation planned into the operations or the people employed, either by Cuttington personnel or a reputable independent party. To their credit, I have been reimbursed for my losses.
I also find a resignation among African's on campus that although conditions are bad and they worry about their own safety and security, nothing can be done about it except "to sleep with one eye open".
Peace Corps is in a position to see Peace Corps security requirements are met. Peace Corps Volunteers are a tremendous bonus to the university as instructors to fill positions either vacant because of the inability to pay outside academics or   to find those willing to come. Any laxity to have Cuttington fulfill their obligations falls squarely on the shoulders of Peace Corps.
I strongly recommend that Peace Corps withhold the recruitment and placement of additional Peace Corps Volunteers at Cuttington until a through investigation takes place into my own incident and into the management and qualifications of Cuttington security. I also recommend internal procedures within Peace Corps Liberia be addressed as to the follow-up of open security concerns involving volunteers.
Yours truly,
Nicholas Shuraleff
Peace Corps Response Volunteer, Liberia, 2013"
 Photo Explanations:
 Caustic soda is the same as lye or sodium hydroxide. It is used in products such as Draino to dissolve things. It is a common agent used by Liberian thieves because it can destroy cheap metal thus avoiding noise making means of entry. One disadvantage is that it takes time for the chemicals to work and is dangerous to handle. With me the rear door lock was made of a metal resistant to caustic soda, but not the nails and concrete of the screen.
The footprints in the photos are from the thieves stepping into the soda before entering through the back door which was probably unlock by a smaller person who was let in through the window.
Loosened kitchen window screen, showing caustic soda stains.

Point of Entry

Thieves neatly stacked glass window plates, as well as, items on the kitchen window ledge

Kitchen footprints
Living room footprint which I circled for identification



No comments:

Post a Comment