Friday, October 4, 2013

Modern Communications

 10-1-2013
 
For as poor as Liberia is, it has up-to-date cell phone service and slow, but readily available internet service. What this means is that even though I am thousands of miles away, I am instantly accessible. 

It makes it nice to be on my cell phone and clearly talk to Mary about her new car, or my daughter, Kim, as she learns about the businesses I left her to manage, my grandson, Sam, whom I surprise in State College, PA, or my son, Nicholas, as he drives to a football game in Iowa City. Text messaging each other with little tidbits helps to make us feel even closer.

Sometimes I have to ask myself, “Am I really in a tropical African country or just across the street?” It doesn’t take me long to come to my senses. It is hot and humid here. This is not Minnesota.




No comments:

Post a Comment