Sunday, October 13, 2013

Installation of Student Union Officers

 10-12-2013

One of my Genetics class students, Jusu D., came up to me weeks ago and asked me to come to his “coronation” as President of the Student Union. He gave me the time and date as Saturday, October 12, at noon. It sounded like an important event for him, so I said I would attend.

There were beautiful posters appearing on campus advertising the Installation and Inauguration Ball.The time on the poster said 10am. I saw Jusu the night before to confirm the time at 10am. I must admit I am not always understood and the venue was very noisy. He seemed to confirm the time. All dressed for a special occasion, I went to the Assembly Hall at 10am. No one was there.

At noon, the hall was packed. Entertainment, conducting actual student union meetings dissolving the old congress and installing the new with what seemed like a million speeches, each speaker seemingly required to recognize almost everyone over and over again. After two hours, Jusu was sworn in and gave his speech. I left in what was to middle of the program for a meeting which didn’t happen because the people knew I was at the installation and there was no way I could make a meeting with them at the agreed upon time.

After watching the dancers at the installation, I thought it might be worth a try to “Dance like a Liberian”. Fortunately during dinner at the cafeteria a young man was showing his moves, I showed mine, and we agreed to meet that night at the Inauguration Ball where he would give me lessons.

The Inauguration Ball was scheduled to start at 8pm. I learned later the Ball did not end until dawn.
I got there a little early, my “instructor” was there, as well as, girls dressed up for a ball sitting around, usually drinking. Time continued to pass and the students continued to get “pissy”, Liberian for drunk, and things were getting ugly, my instructor being one of the ugliest. I stuck around away from the crowd until about 11:00, waiting for the Ball to start. I was curious, but old age got the best of me and I decided sleep was more important than learning to dance ”Liberian” on stage with a drunk instructor.  People who went near the Inauguration Ball site the next morning said it looked like a disaster area.

This “activity” highlights some of the issues one experiences in Liberia.
First, a written time means nothing. Even a signed written note about a Biology Department meeting scheduled for Friday never happened.  I being the only one waiting outside the meeting room door.
Second, Liberians can’t dance. Believe me polka night at the senior center has more action. Their preference is to sit and get drunk while listening to music that can best be described as terrible to the ear, without words, and seemingly on an endless repetitive tape. You hear it constantly.

Well, I made my appearance.

I learned to what extent teachers go through to connect with their students.

Don't always believe what a sign says


No comments:

Post a Comment