Friday, September 13, 2013

My House at Cuttington University

My Cuttington University house

I live in a duplex at the farthest end of the circular road which houses faculty members. Of all the places other Peace Corps Response Volunteers, the general consensus I have the best. Not only does it have running water, electric stove, refrigerator, fan, but air-conditioning in the bedroom! The rooms are all spacious, consisting of a living room with dining area, and pantry. There is lots of closet and storage space. The furniture is sparse for such a big place, but certainly enough for me. Across the road two other Peace Corps are housed which makes it nice to have familiar looking faces nearby.
Security is always foremost with Peace Corps and every room has a keyed lock. The front outer door is solid steel. The louvered windows are well screened and with steel mess. It is quiet with an occasional motorcycle taxi. I look out over vast fields, front and back with the sound of birds and insects to keep me company.
For meals, I usually have oatmeal or cassava porridge for breakfast, the main noon dinner I can get at the cafeteria. The food is Liberian and consists of a scoop or two of rice covered with some kind of spicy glop, containing a small piece of fish, chicken, beans, or goat. The diet here is definitely organic and range free.  The cafeteria also has a late super. This is a very “light” meal, usually of some kind of deep fried dough.
Fresh fruit and vegetables are hard to find, even in the larger markets. When I run across a vendor with a basket on her head selling anything green, I buy it.
There are still lots to discover as I negotiate the marketplaces. This is a very poor place and being in a rural area makes “shopping” a true adventure.

Entrance to Cuttington, you just have to get used to mud.

Kitchen
Bathroom, note flexible shower head




No comments:

Post a Comment