Monday, September 16, 2013

My First Class

9-16-13
 My First Class
Finally, my first class… Histology. Five students show up, three early, two late, all Juniors and Seniors with plans to become doctors. This is out of an expected 20 who pre-enrolled. I am told that this is not unusual since most students don’t consider the first week of classes to be school yet. What a surprise the other students receive when they learn what I happens in the first day of my class is not going to be repeated.
 Their rules are:
Put cell phones on “Vibrate”. .. I added cell phones “Off”.
No eating in class...I added unless you bring food for everyone.
Be on time…I said I didn’t care, except late students would miss the daily quiz given at the beginning of every class.

My rules:
“No excuses”…They said “WHAT? But this is Africa”
I repeated, “No excuses”
I accept “no bribes”…Some just snickered
Tests given from class notes
I don’t repeat lessons
Notes and talking allowed on daily quizzes
Cheating on Midterm and Final Exam results in a zero

We shall see just how my initial ideals holdup.
I feel I didn’t do too badly. I actually can write on the blackboard.
The classroom is not bad, except chalk dust covers everything.

A student told me to watch my stuff when students leave classroom.


Histology Classrom M-22


1 comment:

  1. No excuses? Daily quiz at the beginning of each class? No bribes even? Pretty soon they're going to be calling you Professor Meany.

    ReplyDelete